Basics of Wellhead Protection
MECP Director Approved 0.3 CEU, 3 hour course
A safe and reliable source of drinking water is essential for life. Since groundwater water supply is limited, it needs to be properly managed and protected. Groundwater contaminated today may remain contaminated for hundreds, or even thousands of years.
This course describes the process of wellhead protection and how it helps a community have control over its future environment.
Topics covered during this course include:
– the basics of the hydrologic cycle
– that a wellhead protection plan is a strategy
– confined and unconfined aquifers
– what a contaminant source inventory is, and why it is needed
– new well construction requirements
– public education and participation
– contingency plans for water supply emergencies